Bake the Perfect Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie.

November 8, 2012 · 19 comments

Few things make me happier than a perfectly soft, gooey,  freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. I have no interest in your chewy cookie, your crunchy cookie, or anything other than a cookie that melts in your mouth and breaks apart with ease, even when they’re a few days old. Hence? The Ultimate Soft Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie.

I like to consider myself somewhat of a cookie connoisseur. Mostly because that sounds better than, “Chick who eats an unethical amount of cookies,” and three years ago I began the quest to bake a cookie that would get eaten by someone besides myself in this house. If you’ve ever met my husband – my tall, skinny husband – you would know he is one of those rare unicorns of a person who is full of willpower and lacks a violent sugar tooth, meaning he can buy a candy bar and actually get HOME before he eats it. And to make it worse, he can even put that candy bar in the freezer and FORGET he put it there — unlike myself, who can barely make it out of the store before I’m covered in chocolate, wrapper pieces, and tears of shame. 😉

So when he INHALED the first batch and then asked for MOAR, I knew I had a winner – in fact, he purchased some store-bought chocolate chip cookies last week, and we ended up gifting them to a coworker because he just couldn’t enjoy them on the same level anymore, LOL.

Not only are these an amazing soft chocolate chip cookie, they’re also the perfect versatile cookie base. I change the mix-ins (white or milk chocolate, butterscotch chips, toffee bits, macadamia nuts, you name it), I change the pudding flavors, I even add a half cup of peanut butter for soft PB cookies. These are heavenly, and each holiday season, we literally bake hundreds to send home to everyone we love.

So go, get your OMNOMNOM on! 😉 Recipe below (makes about 3 dozen, depending on cookie size):

Gather up…

• 2 ¼ cup white flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup butter, softened/room temperature
  • ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix (that’s the dry box – I use Jell-O because the store brand tasted… different)
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips
  • ½ cup milk chocolate chips

And then…

• In small bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  • In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
  • Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended.
  • Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
  • Blend in the flour mixture.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
  • Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours.
  • When ready, preheat the oven to 335 degrees.
  • Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls/small golf ball sizes onto cookie sheets.
  • Bake for 10-11 minutes in the preheated oven.
  • Remove immediately and let sit on cooling racks, not the cookie sheets.

On a side note, I mix everything by hand, and only “just” when it comes to the eggs and vanilla. The cookies also will not look “done” at 10 minutes but I promise they are! Cookies continue to bake even when they’re removed from the oven, so keep that in mind! If you feel your dough is a little too dry, feel free to add 1-2 tbsp heavy cream, and  it’s wise to keep the dough cool and in the fridge when you’re not using it to load up your baking sheet. Why? The warmer the dough, the flatter and less soft the cookie.

TIP: You can also pre-ball these up and freeze them for when you just want a few cookies!

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Ashley November 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Those look delicious. I only like soft cookies too so I will definitely be trying this recipe.

Brittney November 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

I am telling you, they’re highly addictive! And the cooler you can keep the dough before it hits the oven, the pudgier! If that makes sense…

Holly November 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Those look and sound delicious – I’m definitely adding them on my to-bake list! My husband is like yours – tall and skinny with absolutely NO sweet tooth. Well, except when it comes to pie. I, on the other hand, buy a chocolate bar while I’m in line at the grocery store and eat it before I get to the car. Even when I’m NOT pregnant 😀

Brittney November 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

LOL I swear. I’m actually worse with sour stuff – like sour straws? I’m amazed they make it home at all, lol.

You know, I’ve never baked a pie – they totally intimidate me! Maybe I should try!

David June 7, 2015 at 2:12 pm

A bit supeirsrd it seems to simple and yet useful.

Meg November 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’m a chocolate chip cookie addict, and these look and sound great! Love the idea of adding pudding mix.

Brittney November 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

It keeps them so soft. I think a lot of folks picture a pudding center and are disappointed, though, LOL. But apparently you can add the pudding mix into a lot of baked goods to retain moisture (cakes, cupcakes, muffins, etc) but I haven’t tried it yet.

Lu November 9, 2012 at 7:58 am

Mmmmmmm!! My boyfriend is exactly the same. He once bought a huge bar of chocolate and put it at the back of the fridge for Christmas. December came and went and he ignored the chocolate, despite lots of reminders from me. Then January went by and still the chocolate was sat in the fridge. By February I’d had enough and sneakily opened the other end and started munching. It took him until March to realise that the bar had pretty much been devoured. I tried to look innocent and said the house must be haunted by a PMT suffering ghost 🙂

Brittney November 9, 2012 at 9:57 am

LOL I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that. Both parts of that, actually. First, I’m the CANDY BAR ANNOUNCER or something because every time I open the fridge, I have to be like HEY, DON’T FORGET YOU HAVE A—-…. and then, eventually, I eat it.

Kate November 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

oooh i’m going to have to try these!! i found a winner in this recipe: http://forme-foryou.com/2011/08/the-only-chocolate-chip-cookie-i-will-ever-need-to-know-how-to-make-for-the-rest-of-my-life.html but i am an equal opportunity cookie baker/eater…i will give these a try too! 🙂

Ashley May 11, 2014 at 3:29 pm

oMG I love these cookies. They are the best, the softest cookies I’ve ever made. Very addictive!

brittney May 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

LOL Thank you!!! I know. I can’t make them often because I end up eating like a dozen on my own…. in a sitting. 😉

Jordan May 24, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Just made these for my (also skinny, non sweet-tooth) husband, only adapted to make orange creamsicle cookies. He loved ’em! Sooo yummy! Thanks a bunch. See adaptations below

All white chocolate chips – no milk
red & yellow food coloring for orange color
1 1/2 tsp orange flavoring instead of vanilla
1 capful of whipped cream vodka.

Thanks again!

Geli May 26, 2014 at 9:58 am

I’m a sucker for a good chocolate chip cookie and I’m always on the hunt for the BEST one. I’m such a huge fan of the CCC that I serve them at every party I have (usually between 11pm and midnight…my guests always love it!) Well, I have these a try for my families Memorial Day gathering and they are going to be the hit of then party. They are amazing!!! Even my boyfriend agreed that try are scrumptious, and he and I have polar opposite definitions of what makes a good cookie. Long story short, these are my new staple cookie.

Thanks for sharing a winner with us!

Modifications: I added 1 tsp salt

Amr June 7, 2015 at 11:35 am

说道:Soldiers will endeavour to set up power naadowys, as they starts a new two-day overwhelm that will get her across a few time zones as well as to some reasonably competitive suggests. Romney for the secondary right moment is without a doubt wooing voters inside Nevada and next inside Wi.

Jenn March 23, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Just the powder part of the pudding or am I making the pudding and then adding it ?

Spg March 23, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Just made these, the are delicious, but ours turned out flat. They were nice and thick till they coold off. Does anyone know if altitude could be causing this or any other suggestions?

Teresa April 23, 2016 at 11:43 am

These are wonderful! I’ve made them & shipped them to my son in a care package when he was deployed & the guys inhaled them! Recently I took them to work with me & there wasn’t s crumb left in the dish, I’ve been asked for the recipe, do you have a printer friendly version?
Thanks I’m off to make more & some with chocolate pudding instead of vanilla for a twist , my sons favorite is double chocolate chocolate chip.

Taneyka August 18, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Will these be ok if I leave them in the fridge overnight? I really want to make them but don’t have time to bake them tonight!