Room to Rescue One More.

August 31, 2012 · 12 comments

lily potter tortiseshell kitten

You may have noticed that I haven’t been blogging on this blog in the last few weeks. I am WINNING (!) at this new domain, eh? πŸ˜‰ But the House of Moo has been a touch preoccupied the past two weeks…

Shortly before I relocated to this domain, we had to say goodbye to our eldest kitty, Audrey, to whom I had been mama to for the past seventeen years. She lived a very loved, very lengthy life – and we held on a little too long as it was.

She had a large tumor near her heart and pleural effusion – essentially condensation in her chest cavity that pushes against her lungs and reduces their ability to fully expand. It came quick and strong, and she went downhill fast, losing 28% of her body weight within 6 weeks. Holding on any longer would have sentenced her to one of two actions: starving or suffocating to death. Her little body made the decision for us and she went peacefully with us curled around her. She has since returned home in a mahogany box that sits next to her sister on a shelf in the study, where she can be a part of the family always.

When I was little, watching a good friend pass away was tough – no less tough than it is now. Shortly after one passed away, our family rescued another. Most times they found us – strays who crossed our paths and whose owners could not be relocated. Some were sought out at shelters.Β OccasionallyΒ  people find this in poor taste, as if we’re easily replacing an animal who simply cannot be replaced.

My father held a different perspective: When a pet passes away, they’re helping make “room to rescue one more.”

I’ve always liked that thought. I imagine that, had we been able to ask, every single one of our rescued pets would have supported our helping another animal that had found themselves in a similar situation at the time they’d joined our family. I like to think all our pets would be that selfless. πŸ˜‰ They, like we, would understand that saving one more life wasn’t replacing them. It was honoring their memory. They were at the Rainbow Bridge and not saving another life wouldn’t bring them back. And unfortunately, there is no shortage of animals who need saving.

So the story went and so the story carries on in our household.

This year, we lost three family pets: My father lost two of my childhood shepherds and we lost my childhood kitty. In true honor of each of the three we lost in 2012, we have saved three more: Gizmo was the first, and I now introduce (in true nerdy Harry Potter lovin’ fashion), Lily and Severus – our five week old balls of puff – and don’t worry, they’re well aware they have some big shoes to fill! πŸ˜‰

severus snape wire haired kitten

(scallops via puglypixel)

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Natalie Cottrell August 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm

This is such an awesome way to think of adding a new family member after losing one. There are so many friends in need of love, and to be able to bring a sweet little one into your home and love on them is so healing for them and for you. They are just precious and I bet they’re doing kitty happy dances that they ended up with y’all. πŸ™‚ Happy weekend, girl!

Brittney August 31, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Thank you, love! πŸ™‚ That is my dad for you – now we all know where *I* get it from! LOL! I absolutely agree it’s healing – it was actually sort of bittersweet when we took her in for her appointment, and there was a couple adopting a kitten at the same time… very circle of life for me. I’m such a cheeseball, I know.

Allison August 31, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Sooo cute! Congrats. πŸ™‚ I love kitties.

brittney September 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

Thanks Miss! They do tend to make all kittens cute, no?

Mandy September 1, 2012 at 12:10 am

I hope Audrey is pouncing merrily again on the other side. It sucks she’s no longer with you. πŸ™ But Lily and Severus are adorable. You have such a huge heart my dear. It’s beautiful.

brittney September 1, 2012 at 9:31 am

Yeah, we pushed it two weeks longer than our vet would have liked – his own kitty developed the same condition at ten years, so we felt very fortunate hers developed at 17. We got a lot of good years in, but it’s crazy to not have her around. She was there through my first crush, first date, graduating middle and high school, my first apartment, two moves to Texas, etc!

Lu September 3, 2012 at 7:09 am

Oh wow they are beautiful! I just want to cuddle them. My Homer is 15 years old and I dread the day he will leave us. We have always had rescue animals but Homer has been the most unique and amazing cat ever. I don’t think I would be able to have another pet after he leaves as it just won’t feel right. But I do intend to donate as much money/food/blankets as possible to the local animal shelters each month to ensure they all have as good a life as possible. I think it’s great that your family help so many lovely animals πŸ™‚

Holly September 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Sorry for your loss πŸ™

“Room to rescue one more” – I LOVE that way of looking at things! And what adorable little kitties! If my husband wasn’t allergic to most dogs/cats/other furry animals, our house would be full πŸ™‚ My dad actually warned Nathan when we got engaged that I “collect strays” …

brittney September 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

LOL I see we have the same collection, sigh. πŸ˜‰ Not that it would help – but I’m actually allergic to cats, dogs, horses, and birds! Luckily it’s never been SHOCKINGLY bad, but it definitely caught up to me and I’ve been doing allergy shots for the past year that seem to be awesome.

Holly September 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

If I could convince Nathan to do allergy shots, I would be ecstatic (PUPPIES! KITTENS! ) but it’s a no go. He’s not the animal lover in the family. He “tolerates” our dog Chloe and he enjoys horses … I actually think he’d get allergy shots if he had to to be around horses, but then again, they don’t live in the house! I blame his parents for not having animals around when he was growing up ….

Holly R November 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I found your blog through Jenni, and just wanted to tell you I LOVE that you rescue animals, and have always had the same viewpoint on getting new pets when another pet passes. Glad to know I’m not alone, your dad sounds awesome πŸ™‚

Erik June 7, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I enter a lot of carnivals but then froget that I have submitted often. I get backed up on announcing them. Plus it does get rather frustrating when the person putting it together obviously hasn’t read your post–gets your name wrong, mispells your blog or gives you sons you don’t have. But hey, we’re only human, right?I try to catch up on announcing them every so often.