The Before Baby List.

May 21, 2012 · 16 comments

before baby list

(NOTE: This post was part of a previous domain and comments were not migrated over.) If you know me at all, you know that I am a planner. If there is research that can be done, spreadsheets that can be made, or lists that can be written – my greatest joy will be to do just that. Four or five times. In six different notebooks. I am well aware you cannot plan for everything in life (that’s part of the fun, actually), but planning the parts I can control give me inner peace. It’s my yoga. It’s also my excuse to buy lots of addicting and otherwise pointless books and office supplies, but we’re not here to to judge. 😉

In 8 short months, I will turn thirty. I know this sort of gives people in their twenties a heart attack, but I actually welcome this with open arms. I sort of think it’s going to be my best decade: I’m married now and growing a life with someone I love, I’m actively aiming to improve my belief in my self worth, I’m more comfortable learning and accepting who I am and who I am not, I have a job I feel solid in with an actual paycheck and we own a little piece of the world, chalk full of waggly tails.

That being said, eight-ish months past that will lead us to Fall 2013, when I get to celebrate six years of marriage with a man crazy enough to put up with me who loves me unconditionally. And though the parenting talk has always been something open and on the table (we firmly believe in discussing all that big stuff before you walk down the aisle, thankyouverymuch), we’ve recently bumped that talk up to… possibly beginning to try for a family beginning next fall. Next. Fall. Like for real.

And that’s a really big (nerve-wracking but hideously exciting and hand-clapping) deal to me. And him. And the side of me that goes, “But I had a Before Baby list that needs approximately… 60 months to accomplish. And when I do the math, that’s only 27 months away!” So cue my need to list out everything we would accomplish in a dream world, so I can track this, and stay focused, and OMGTHATS27MONTHS. 😉

Also – I do realize there is not a “perfect” time for a baby, but there is a “better” time, and that’s the time that we feel most comfortable changing our lives so significantly. Not everything on my list is something I must do or I’ll fail as a parent, these are simply personal hopes. I say this happy little disclaimer because the minute I say the word “baby” near anyone and then my list of things, I get (well-meaning, I hope?) lectures to either “make sure you have the big talks!” (uh. duh. check.) or the polar opposite, “Well, I don’t think you need to do any of that, you’re ridiculous, JUST MAKE THE BABY NOW BECAUSE IT’LL BE FINE.” 😉 Breathe, people, breathe.

The Before Baby List

1. Ditch any credit card debt completely.
  2. Get to a healthy weight – complete with healthy habits.
  3. Get Gizmo to the point he comes when called and is generally not shut down by the presence of a small human.
  4. Finish lingering home projects.
  5. Save for pre-baby needs (est. $2,500)
  6. Save for pre-natal and delivery cost (est. $7,500)
  7. Visit CA to see family, friends and Disneyland pre-parenthood. (est. $2,000)
  8. Visit WA for at least one last pre-baby lake adventure. (est. $1,250)
  9. Have a honeymoon do-over – you know, one where Sean doesn’t get the flu and spend it hurling all over, preferably where we need to use a passport. (est. $3,000)
  10. Develop and maintain better time management/organizational skills.
  11. Learn to cook and enjoy it.
  12. Boost savings (est. $5,000-10,000)
  13. Set aside for maternity leave (est. $2,000)
  14. Put more effort into discovering who I am and who I want to be – passions, hobbies, routines – and developing that person.
  15. Expand my local support network – aka invest in friendships.
  16. Tuck away for first year of daycare costs (est. $9,900)
  17. Finish my allergy immunotherapy (est. $2,500)
  18. Install Cat Fence In (est. $700)
  19. Better establish date night.
  20. Take a dance class with Sean.
  21. Learn about, and better embrace, both our German & Italian heritages.
  22. Make an effort to learn our DSLR.
  23. Take a gun safety course with Sean (I grew up shooting guns and yes we own one, but wow could we use a refresher).
  24. Obtain an additional work certificate (i.e. project mgmt, resource development, etc).

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Kaci Johanna August 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

How exciting!

But, really, you’re not REALLY ready for a baby. Trust that whenever it happens for you guys, is the right time. I’d be happy to share my opinions/thoughts/experiences with you on anything baby-related if you like!

Michelle August 4, 2012 at 8:39 pm

“Four or five times. In six different notebooks.” i think you just became my new spirit animal. LOVE YOU

this list is fabulous, and i love how some of them can totally carry over to a “do this with baby” list. like the learning more about your heritage (also on my hypothetical life list). you’re gonna crush this 🙂

Amy August 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You’re so organized! We didn’t have a “list”, exactly, but we had an idea of what we wanted to do before baby arrived – own a home, do some traveling, get established at our jobs, etc. Once we got those big things out of the way we still didn’t feel 100% ready, but I don’t think you EVER feel 100% ready! And now he’s here and we’re all doing just fine! 🙂

Manderz August 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I love how utterly organized you are. Seriously. My pre-baby list involves tackling some home renos, finishing my certificate, and finally getting a will done up.

Holly August 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I think a Before Baby List is a great idea – if only my husband and I had thought of that I love my son and wouldn’t trade him for anything but sometimes I wish we’d been a bit more financially savvy, if you will. I would have loved to stay home with him but financially that just wasn’t going to happen – maybe in another year? Good for you guys for planning ahead 🙂

Allison Blass August 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm

My husband and I just came up with our Pre-Baby Bucket List a few weeks ago as well. Most of ours, like yours, are finance related. Like you said, there’s never a perfect time, but there’s definitely a better time! We just want to make sure we get there. I’m a bit younger (27 in August) and so we made our deadline for my 29th birthday in 2014. That’s when ideally I’d like to start trying, and that’s also far enough away that we have time to work. We might not get everything done by 2014, but I like the idea of a timeline so that we keep that motivation going. Otherwise I know it would be super easy to slack off! Anyway, I look forward to hearing all about your progress!

Ashley August 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

As much as I planned, and thought and talked and prepared…I’m currently in WAY over my head (and the child still resides in my womb).

You’re going to be great. This is going to be great. And I’m excited for the two of you!

Heather August 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I am at such a similar point in my life too (almost 30) and the baby talks are definitely becoming more frequent in this house also! So excited for you and I love your list…You are really organized! I feel like I need to get planning too! Great post!

Kate November 2, 2012 at 11:05 am

great list! we have been married just 7 months (we’ve been together a total of 5 years though) and are thinking of trying next fall as well! i’ll be 30 in april, and am starting to feel like the clock is ticking. i totally agree that there’s never a perfect time, but there is a better time. love that.

brittney November 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

AHH CONGRATS! Funny, I’ll be 30 in February, so we’re apparently on the same wave length! 😉 You’ll have to keep me posted!

Thiaguinho June 7, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Here’s a list of our current fartivoes:The Mice of Bistrot des Sept FreresHondo FabianToys Go OutCan You Find It Inside?Mouse PaintOld TurtleOne Red DotFlotsamI Went Walking Williams/VivasThe Princess the Pea Lauren ChildSound of Colors LiaoLittle Bunny on the Move McCartyThat Rabbit Belongs to Emily BrownThe Red BookThe DotIshWhat Do People Do All Day Richard ScarryDo Unto OttersLlama, Llama, Red PajamaUp Above Down BelowThe Peace Book Todd ParrWho’s Hiding OnishiEmily’s BalloonWhatever BeeAnd several Usborne picture books:On the Moon MilbourneOn a Pirate Ship CourtauldThe Story of Pinocchio EvangelistaAlice in Wonderland EvangelistaIn the Castle MilbourneAnd those are just our current fartivoes

Virtual Private Server April 19, 2017 at 1:38 am

Ready to Pop stickers are the finishing touch on baby shower favors, treat bags, invitation envelopes, or use them in a gender reveal or shower game! All items can be bought at the dollar store or for about a dollar elsewhere and easy to do it yourself.