Three Amigos. Or Two Dogs and a Hen.

January 11, 2012 · 9 comments

(NOTE: This post was part of a previous domain and comments were not migrated over.) We’re on day # 5 with Gizmo, and so far, we’re doing alright. We’ve decided to take baby steps and celebrate the little accomplishments. This week? We’re just associating us with positive things. We’re not trying to tackle big things, like being able to really walk toward him or using a leash, but instead acclimating him to our presence. We’ve been giving him treats and toys, simply handing him good things as we walk past, and we can actually pet him if he’s approached painfully slowly and already snuggled next to one of the other dogs. 🙂

Baby steps! He’s been sleeping on my legs or between us still – wherever another pup is.

As for the other pups, they’re doing so well. Princess Emmie has been anything but, getting up with me at 3am to stand around in the cold while we wait for Gizmo to potty or helping me corral him anywhere I need him to go by going there first. She’s a bit of a mother hen, always giving him kisses and snuggles, wrestling with him when he’s bouncing off the walls, grumbling him back into place when he grumbles at us. She’s really an asset – even Sean has commented that we probably wouldn’t be able to do this without her help, LOL. I think she’s just very intuitive, and although she gives me plenty of, “Are we really seriously keeping that?” looks, I think she maintains patience because she realizes he’s a little bit damaged and needs the extra love. Bailey is his usual good self, following him when needed and providing a nap buddy. He’s even shared his beloved pillow without so much as a grunt. All in all, we’re doing well. 🙂 Thank you guys for all the positive words – hopefully no one minds if I track his progress on my blog?

Gizmo, debating the camera.

Bailey is the dignified older brother.

Gizmo, post yell fest.

Mother Hen

Sunshine feels good

Brothers.

He feels safe with her

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Marlena August 4, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Just texted you and thought I’d check the blog. The last picture makes my heart happy. Seriously. It must be framed.

P.S. Miss your face!

Anna August 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Awww, so glad that everything is going well! Sounds like Emmie it teaching him how to be a dog! Something his previous situation never allowed him to explore. He’s such a lucky guy, he couldn’t have found a more loving home to live in. <3

Mali August 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Please! its your blog, and your blog is amazing because of your heart!!!
Write away! Your puppys are absolutely beautiful.. makes me miss my own Casanova
XO!

Manderz August 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm

That last picture? Uber adorable! It’s heart-melting to hear how helpful Emmie and Bailey are being. So, so, so wonderful. Please keep us updated!

Sergio June 7, 2015 at 10:45 am

It may have something to do with the pieiantgtmon of metallic paints. I had the same problem with a stamp pad in gold, it’s been over three weeks and the stupid thing still smears – messed up my Xmas cards!But do be careful, if I were you I would go to Ikea and buy the clear ones. Losing one’s house is not worth a pretty Xmas tree. By the way, I grew up with one of these and miss the color wheel and all. Don’t remember it looking ugly, even though Mom put all kinds of white lights on it. Thanks for the memories!

Paige August 4, 2012 at 7:56 pm

OMG, I’m dying. That picture of him nuzzling Emmie is amazing. It almost looks like he’s put on a little weight too! Way to go Gizmo!!!! You had BETTER track his progress on your blog! I’ve been celebrating little things with Bacon too. Non-training victories (NTVs), I call them. Bacon adjusted to house life right way but was in terrible shape health wise for the first few months. The first time he stood on his hind legs to see over the gate made me cry. It was four months before he was strong enough to do that! His first trip to the groomer’s resulted in rave reviews. The first time he let me give him a belly rub was another teary moment…that just happened a few weeks ago! I’m so proud of my little guy So many ways to build their confidence. Sigh…if Bacon wasn’t dragging his arse across the living room floor RIGHT THIS SECOND, I might even say he’s the ‘perfect’ dog. PS: Emmie’s help must be amazing. He’s so lucky to have both dog and human teachers.

Marlena August 4, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I can’t wait to see him start smiling!

Erin August 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I.love.this! You are amazing for giving him a new chance at life and Emmie is wonderful for trying to care for him like a little mother hen.

Vanessa August 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm

All of that patience is going to pay off in a big way, I’m sure of it. I love that you’re tracking his progress here – puppy love is the best.